Sunday, February 1, 2015

AoW Reflections

Prompt: Take a moment to reflect upon your impressions of what you have learned from the array of articles in at least two well written paragraphs, using evidence from your graphic organizer 

I felt that although there are very large specific things that the world focuses on like Ebola and ISIS, we had a wide range of topics. Two articles that I found had a similar topic but different outlook were Elenia's and Athziry's articles. In Elenia's it was talking about how the world isn't as bad as it seems because there has been less violence against women and that this growth provides a new, more positive perspective. On the other hand Athziry spoke about how there are not much women in the STEM field because they are being treated unfairly, providing an alternative look at the "growth" of women. I think it really shows that there has been progress but at the same time there is a lot that needs to be improved. Another topic that I very interesting was the topic of art. Marisa and Jesus talked about art, Marisa about the Smithsonian and Jesus about forbidden art. Marisa's article has fun to learn about because I never new much about the history of the Smithsonian. Jesus's article I found to be really cool, because they used art to see themselves as humans and not just numbers or slaves. It gives you more perspective on how bad their situations were because if caught they would be tortured but they took the risk.

All these articles gave me more of a look at what is going on around the entire world and also taught me what my classmates feel is important of being world news. There is a large focus right now on violence and it is shaping the world into a state of fear in many places. In Carlos's article I learned more about the aggression of Russia and how they are bombing Ukraine cities. I found this very scary and the fact that Russia is doing this makes no sense to me. Another large violence threat is ISIS, which I learned that Japan is trying to do a prisoner swap with. I hadn't heard of anyone doing this until that point but it angers me a lot that ISIS continues to get hostages and kill them one after another. Though I think that from all the articles I heard about that ISIS has given the entire world a mutual enemy. Therefore I think that if the world came together and acted against them, that they could severely wear down the terrorist group. I really liked the activity we did this week because it allowed us to learn about an entire classroom of ideas about trending world topics. I also enjoy seeing how large world topics change over time, even from the beginning of the year. Also seeing how other topics have grown and developed as well is something that gains my interest, therefore I thought this activity allowed me to further develop my knowledge of the world.




























No comments:

Post a Comment