Thursday, February 5, 2015

TKAM Book Talk



Transcript:
The book I chose was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The genre of this novel is realistic fiction.

To Kill a Mockingbird is in Maycomb County, Alabama, during the early 1930's. This was taking place during the Great Depression when a lot of the country was in poverty and had lost money. The main character in this novel was Scout, she is a bit of a trouble maker and rude, but also pretty funny and smart. She has an older brother named Jem and her best friend Dill. She is very curious and sees the world more innocently and doesn't quite understand everything yet. Her problem throughout is the way others want her to grow up and that she doesn't understand her brother growing up. At first Jem is her friend but then he becomes more distant and wants to become more of a young man. With her everyone wants her to wear dresses and behave like a little woman but thats not what she has in mind, which I enjoy reading about. What I like about this book was that you never feel one emotion for most of the book, it changes your feelings constantly. When Harper Lee shows the racist aspect you feel disgust and sadness for those at the time. When the kids are attacked you are very curious in wanting to know who did it. When Scout, Jem and Dill are trying to find out more about the neighborhood legend Boo Radley it is amusing and exciting seeing what they plan to do. The theme of this book for me was coming of age and racism and how they influence you as a person.

I know we have made blogs about this book already but this was a book that I liked, that I could write this blog about. The reason I liked this book is because it provides a large story told all in the span of one book. It provides a glimpse of how it was to grow up during racism and the Great Depression. I really like that it provides this because usually you learn about this from biographies but this time you learn it from a more humorous side and you can make the connection because it is another kid. Also I usually don't learn about like stories of personal experiences and in this book you see how people could really be affected, like some kids who hardly went to school or couldn't pay for anything. The thing I remember the most is how Harper Lee creates this bond between the children and the local legend Boo Radley and how it kind of fades away from him but then in the end shows his large role in the book. I would recommend this book for early teenagers because it is a good story about a young child who is different from most but also allows you to learn a little about the lifestyles of kids during the 1930's which you usually don't get to learn too much about. I think you should want to go out and read this book because it is a classic piece of literature and really provides a big story. From childhood play, to a story of racism, local legends, and seeing several people grow up and change over the course of about two years.
Comments: Damia M, Natalie W, Sheyanne H

9 comments:

  1. Hi Diego. I enjoyed your blog on To Kill a Mockingbird, mostly because I've read the book too. I realized a lot of the interpretation that you got from the story, was very similar to mine when I compared it. Just like Steven's the fish on your blog are very annoying and distracting. I wasted a lot of time feeding them. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What race were the kids and how old were they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I'm Sebastian from 7th grade and I have advice for you. What you should do in your video is not read the whole transcript but just sim through it by saying mostly the important parts in it. Other than that I liked the way you explained the book in very descriptive detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not yet read this book but it seems interesting. In your video the camera seemed to be a little unstable but besides that your video was good. In your blog you also forgot to indent your paragraphs. Besides that good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't really interested in this book and first, but you made it seem like a really good book to read, I feel like if I ever get a chance to read the next book by the author I'll definitely give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the way you explained the book. I have not yet read this book but it seems interesting by the way that you've explained it. Maybe just indent your paragraphs but other than that, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading you blog because it was very interesting summary. Your word choice was great and paragraph structure is as well very excellent. After reading I would like to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some suggestions for your next blogs are to indent your paragraphs and italicize the title of the book. Other than that I enjoyed reading/watching your Book Talk, and I look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome book talk! Be careful with run-on sentences and make sure to reread your writing before you post!

    ReplyDelete