Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Giver: Week of 11-25-13


Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
Pages Read: 65-114
Prompt: describe the setting – when and where what you are reading takes place.

     The setting of where this book takes place is somewhere in the future. I know it is sometime in the future because the Giver and the Receiver (Jonas) are seeing memories from the past. Jonas learns about sledding, color, weather, and things that we have now. The Giver and Jonas are the only ones that know of these things. The community is very secretive and simple.
     They are in a Utopian society. I know this because everything is controlled by the elders who is like the government. Everything there is controlled. For example they know not of what lies beyond their community. They do not know about the past or about color and competition. They are all contained. You can file for a partner. And then you file for a child. They are allowed one boy and one girl. 
     I have found this book pretty interesting. I find it weird that the people know nothing about what lies beyond or about the far past because in our time we know what lies beyond our community and we know all about our past. I would not want to be a receiver or giver because I would not want all those memories of pain no matter how many good memories I would have. So far I have found the book okay.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why I am thinking of this now, but what if there was a cycle? The Reciever of Memory could escape every couple of generations and chaos breaks loose, then they get it back to the way it was before. The would not kill or take away the job of Reciever of Memory because it is so important in their community. Great job Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job describing the time and type of setting. You couldn't say where it is because there are no clues to this. They could be on earth, mars, or on an unknown planet. Great description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do you think you would be able to last in the society of Utopia that they have if you had the option to experience it? I enjoyed how you just stated the main points of the setting, not too many details. They aren't allowed to wonder because it's against the rules, so I'm guessing that's partially why they don't have the knowledge of the past or what lies beyond their society. If you think consider it, don't you think you can learn from bad memories even if it's just one bad memory? Hopefully, you'll like the end to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that you, of all people in the class would dislike the book. I think that your ability to describe the setting shows otherwise.

    ReplyDelete