Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Which 'Tuesday' Has Inspired You?: Week of 2-27-15

Based on the 6 Tuesdays you have read about in Tuesdays with Morrie, choose which topic (The World, Feeling Sorry For Yourself, Regrets, Death, Family, or Emotions) that has had the most impact on you or inspired you. On your blog discuss the importance of this topic with your own opinions, including textual evidence (direct quotes) from the book. 


The Fourth Tuesday where they talked about death was definitely most influential on me. Not necessarily because of what he said about dying but because of his quote about sleepwalking. Morrie says "most of us all walk around as if we're sleepwalking." He is basically saying that we don't fully appreciate everything and experience everything we can. This message stuck with me because when I thought about it, I realized how true it was. For me I sometimes live life very routinely, sometimes even planning my day out the day before. I would literally plan; wake up, go to school, do this for this class and this class, go home, get a bit of free time, eat, homework, and take a shower. On a lot of days I just did my work and ignored other things, just going through life in a routine fashion. The problem with this is that I often ignore some things or am to focused on school that I forget to appreciate everything. With that quote I think I will learn to become more appreciative and take advantage of more opportunities. I think as a young person you think that you have all the time in the world. It allows me to sometimes just waste time and go on without really appreciating many of the aspects of my life.

Morrie captures this exact mentality when he says "once you live how to die, you learn how to live." I think its this idea that when you learn you are going to die soon, you begin to appreciate and take advantage of every minute. Thats what I haven't done, I often lay around and do things that have no importance instead of doing something that will help me. When it comes to something like homework I am really bad about wasting time. It often takes me a long time to actually focus in which wastes like an extra 30 minutes. I really want to become more focused on not wasting my time and that quote helped me realize that a little better.

Overall I have taken parts of all of Morrie's lessons. In a lot of ways what he says I feel if I focused a little more I could become a better person. I wanted to share something from Morrie that wasn't from the actual Tuesday meetings but from the Nightline interview. Its two parts, when he says "Accept the past as the past, without denying or discarding it" and "learn to forgive yourself." This for me were things that really stuck because of the way I am. I often dwell on mistakes or past events in which I could have or should have done something different. I often spend too much time and it affects the way I act and often makes me feel a little worse. I think if I can learn from those quotes it would make me feel better overall and could really help me.



1 comment:

  1. I usually plan out my day before it even happens which easily distracts me from noticing details that I never noticed before in my life. I used to focus my time on work, but this year I've tried to leave large amounts of time to spend with family which is a high priority that work. I've always tried to take advantage of every second of the day in my life. Have you tried to taking advantage of your time? I think that if you put others before yourself people will eventually become a better person. Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete